AWS Cloud Security Considerations: The Public Cloud Migration Strategies You Need to Focus On
Even as cloud adoption increases, 58% of surveyed IT and security professionals report that network security challenges can get in the way of migration initiatives.
But perceived security concerns should not prevent businesses from taking advantage of AWS benefits, such as agility, performance and scalability. Many public cloud security concerns are unfounded and most legitimate challenges can be addressed by AWS services and experts in the AWS Partner Network (APN).
When businesses migrate to AWS, they gain access to built-in security and can add additional safeguards by working with an APN Partner. See how AWS and APN Partner collaboration empowers organizations to streamline cloud migration while exceeding the highest possible security measures.
Public Cloud security misconceptions and challenges
Before your business migrates to AWS, you need to know which security considerations are worth your time — and which are not.
There is a lingering perception that on-premise infrastructure is more secure than the public cloud. However, physical infrastructure uses perimeter-focused security strategies that provide only one layer of protection and limit visibility. Additionally, there is often a temptation to treat this perimeter as “too big to fail” — resulting in inflexible security and stalled innovation.
In the public cloud, you can shift to a defense in depth strategy. Defense in depth provides multiple layers of security controls, so your assets have multiple levels of protection. It can also include built-in observability and alert you when a layer has been infiltrated. With these more flexible protocols, you can accelerate new ventures and deliver business value.
Shift your focus to several key security challenges
Every AWS Cloud journey is unique. However, there are a handful of security challenges we’ve seen our customers face as they migrate to AWS:
- Lack of internal alignment: Business stakeholders often have different priorities and some may place less emphasis on security during migration. Without a robust commitment to security at the beginning of a project, you could end up with gaps in security planning, leading to delays or risk as you migrate.
- Self validation: If you are establishing security controls internally, you should not be “grading your own homework.” You need a third-party review to ensure your entire security framework is compliant and follows best practices.
- Complex environments: Security breaches often occur because cloud environments have a high degree of complexity and businesses do not know how to protect them.
- Compliance standards: To adhere to global privacy and security regulations, you need to account for compliance requirements for both geographic changes and underlying platform changes.
Navigate public cloud security roadblocks with AWS
For AWS, cloud security is job zero. This means there is a shift-left mentality that prioritizes security early in the design process to reduce risk and rework. All AWS customers benefit from a data center network infrastructure built to satisfy the requirements of the most security-sensitive organizations.
Additionally, when you migrate to AWS Cloud, you gain economies of scale. With AWS teams monitoring your environment 24/7, your team can spend more time innovating and delivering value for other parts of your business.
However, while AWS Cloud establishes a strong foundation for your security framework, it operates under a Shared Security Model. This means AWS is responsible for protecting the infrastructure that runs the services offered in AWS Cloud — including hardware, software, networking and associated facilities. Meanwhile, AWS clients’ security responsibility is determined by the AWS Cloud service they select. AWS clients typically assume responsibility for security and compliance within their AWS Cloud infrastructure.
To help your team manage security and compliance in the cloud, AWS provides tools like:
- GuardDuty: Ensure your AWS architecture is continuously monitored for malicious activity.
- Trusted Advisor: Optimize security while reducing costs with AWS recommendations.
- Well-Architected Tool: Review the state of your workload and apply security best practices.
- Web Application Firewall (WAF): Protect web applications or APIs against common cyberthreats.
AWS Compliance Programs: Access features that help you meet compliance and audit requirements.
Level up security with an APN Partner
Even with AWS services to help you manage security responsibilities, the Shared Security Model means you need to maintain an internal public cloud competency — and businesses often lack the resources to do so. With the help of an APN Partner like Ensono Digital, an Ensono company, customers can leverage AWS tools and add additional layers of security. An experienced consultant helps you:
- Break down silos: Engage employees, achieve internal buy-in and reconcile security needs across departments at the beginning of a migration project.
- Onboard employees: Solve training gaps by using Ensono Digital resources to onboard employees early in the implementation process.
- Lock down access: Establish a zero-trust framework without sacrificing availability. Ensono Digital delivers secure, compliant IdAM solutions for your public cloud, enabling remote access while preventing security breaches.
- Maintain security standards: Ensure your environment meets functional and nonfunctional requirements with continuous integration from Ensono Digital.
Leverage our AWS migration expertise
When you know which security challenges to focus on from the get-go, you can develop a thorough security framework and achieve internal buy-in for AWS migration. Fortunately, an APN Partner, like Ensono, makes it easy to do so.
With responsibility for cloud facilities and 24/7 support, AWS provides a foundationally secure environment. And by working with Ensono as you migrate, you gain access to APN Partner expertise and the resources you need to build on top of this secure environment and address the security concerns that matter.
Additionally, Ensono has migration expertise validates by the AWS Migration competency — recognition of Ensono’s AWS Cloud technical capabilities you can leverage to accelerate and optimize migration.
If you want to know more about how you can overcome security challenges and harness the full benefits of AWS, let’s connect.